Quote(s) of the Week

"It doesn't matter if you're rural. It doesn't matter if you're from Fargo or Beulah, N.D.," said Joy Rice, a black Fargo resident and a member of the city's human relations commission. "You still need to respect people of color, in all aspects of life. This is a form of racism, and it's really taking a step back."

in response to blackface incident at North Dakota State last weekend.


“There is a gradual growing awareness that challenging your brain can have positive effects," Dr. Cohen said. He said the plasticity of the brain is directly related to the production of new dendrites, the branched, tree-like neural projections that carry electrical signals through the brain “Every time you challenge your brain it will actually modify the brain,” he said. “We can indeed form new brain cells, despite a century of being told it’s impossible.”

from "Exercise Your Brain, or Else You'll...Uh..." in NYTimes

Friday, May 2, 2008

#3 - Texas Kid

I've never categorized myself as a visionary. I'm not much of a risk-taker. My strength has always been in examining and perfecting processes and strategies. Occasionally, I'm exposed to legendary anecdotes that make me realize that I'm not as driven by high aspirations as others in the U.S.

This week, I'm particularly inspired by this ambitious 21-year old Texan. I could use some extra cash; hey, who couldn't. But, I would have NEVER been that creative in thinking through how to start my own record company. You have to give credit to someone willing to write a counterfeit check for $360 billion and try to cash it at a local bank teller. The gentleman claimed that his girlfriend's mother gave him the money...right.




(Normally, I don't like displaying the "police profiles" of African Americans; it's too easy to feed into the stereotype that all African Americans are criminals. In this case, my whole point is that I could NEVER be a criminal...I'm not that creative! This young man has set the bar so high that he has earned a spotlight on the blog.)

No comments: