Quote(s) of the Week

"It doesn't matter if you're rural. It doesn't matter if you're from Fargo or Beulah, N.D.," said Joy Rice, a black Fargo resident and a member of the city's human relations commission. "You still need to respect people of color, in all aspects of life. This is a form of racism, and it's really taking a step back."

in response to blackface incident at North Dakota State last weekend.


“There is a gradual growing awareness that challenging your brain can have positive effects," Dr. Cohen said. He said the plasticity of the brain is directly related to the production of new dendrites, the branched, tree-like neural projections that carry electrical signals through the brain “Every time you challenge your brain it will actually modify the brain,” he said. “We can indeed form new brain cells, despite a century of being told it’s impossible.”

from "Exercise Your Brain, or Else You'll...Uh..." in NYTimes

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Welcome

Hey everyone! Welcome to "Motown Sounds Off..." where I hope to share my perspective on all types of topics - politics, race/ethnicity, religion, sports, family. No Holds Barred Here!

You are welcome and invited to post comments or ask me to sound off on other topics, too. I have no problem with hearing differences of opinion and responding by telling you how wrong you are. Just kidding. My life is an open book...short and lacking good plot development, but open nonetheless.

I'm new to the blogging world, so I'd love to hear your suggestions on how I can make this enjoyable and unique.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you're blogging! I got the word from Joy in the Margins. Thanks Marshall.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you have to say.

Em the luddite said...

I'm excited about the chance to be back in the world of your thoughts! Of course, it'll force me to be aware of more sports than I'm accustomed to hearing about...

Unknown said...

Shawn,
Know we only had that one (really long...) conversation, but I feel happy thoughts toward your direction of the blogosphere due to the enthusiasm of Marshall and Emily and wanted to extend my welcome as well. ;o) Hope you're doing well in Richmond and look forward to hearing your thoughts about some of my favorite topics!